Online Job Application for Indigo Books & Music Jobs
Indigo Books & Music began as a small bookstore chain in Toronto, ON, Canada in 1940. The concept for the modern-day Indigo Books & Music grew out of partnership between the small bookstore chain, Coles, and another competing chain called SmithBooks in 1995. After toying around with different store concepts, the two companies agreed to begin branding stores as Indigo Books & Music. The first Indigo bookstore opened in 1997. Roughly 245 retail locations operate under the Indigo Books & Music namesake. The company maintains a workforce of approximately 6,500 employees.
The popular bookstore chain stands as one of the early pioneers of the big box bookstore concept. Customers find thousands of titles at Indigo Books & Music locations as well as music and movies at reasonable prices. Indigo Books & Music also sells various stationery items, like calendars, bookmarks, pencils, pens, and ereaders. A partnership with Apple in the late 2000s incorporated the sale of MP3 players, laptops, and electronics accessories. Indigo Books & Music also sells merchandise through the company website and offers expedited shipping and promotional discounts to customers signed up for rewards programs. As one of the largest bookstore chains in Canada, Indigo maintains operations in high-traffic areas, likes cities and suburbs, and enjoys widespread popularity.
The Canadian bookstore chain offers entry-level job seekers and experienced professionals excellent opportunities for employment. Work available primarily consists of part-time positions; however, Indigo Books & Music regularly hires for managers and full-time customer service associates. Applicants must successfully complete the hiring process to gain employment. Many applicants report participating in multiple job interviews during the Indigo hiring process. Prospective employees with passion for books and helping others often gain preferential treatment over other Indigo Books & Music candidates. Apply online to find meaningful work in the retail industry with Indigo Books & Music today.
Indigo Books & Music Jobs and Salary Information
Canadian bookstore chain Indigo Books & Music must hire motivated and customer-oriented individuals to fill part-time and full-time positions. Indigo Books & Music uses the hiring process to screen for dependable applicants who exude dedication and team-player attitudes. The minimum hiring age for employment consideration includes prospective associates 14 and over. Some provinces allow workers as young as 12 to work in certain sectors such as retail. The retail chain needs to fill the following entry-level jobs and professional careers:
- Primary job duties for cashier associates range from greeting customers to completing transaction on POS systems.
- Indigo Books & Music cashiers must generally possess some experience with computers prior to employment.
- Training for cashiers typically lasts between a few days and a couple weeks.
- Indigo Books & Music cashier jobs may involve sales associate job duties, like organizing merchandise displays and answering questions about products, services, and policies, as well.
- The average cashier begins earning minimum wage.
- Increases in pay may lead to hourly wages around $11.00 or $12.00.
Customer Experience Representative
- Another customer-oriented position, customer experience representative jobs involve working with the public on a regular basis.
- Indigo Books & Music generally hires workers into part-time customer experience representative jobs; however, the bookstore chain also offers full-time customer experience representative positions.
- Associate responsibilities include assisting in sales, handling returns, and promoting deals and special offers available in-store.
- Personable individuals with outgoing personalities and genuine desires to help others often gain additional hiring consideration over other potential employees.
- Indigo Books & Music customer experience representatives also start out at minimum wage and may earn as much as $12.00 in hourly pay.
- Indigo Books offers several opportunities for career seekers in search of managerial positions.
- Applicants may apply for work as supervisors, assistant managers, or store managers.
- Careers available primarily involve administrative responsibilities as well as customer assurance and hiring.
- Indigo Books & Music supervisors delegate work and schedule entry-level associates.
- Assistant managers train new employees, oversee operations, and handle customer comments, concerns, and questions.
- Store manager jobs with Indigo Books & Music consist of processing payroll, maintaining inventory, setting sales goals, and reporting to company corporate offices.
- The average supervisor starts out around $12.00 an hour.
- Assistant managers may earn salary options between $30,000 and $40,000 per year.
- Annual salary for store managers hovers around $60,000, with experienced Indigo Books & Music store managers earning in excess of $80,000 a year.
Benefits of Working at Indigo Books & Music
Indigo Books & Music rewards employees and provides exceptional job benefits packages. New-hire workers instantly receive discounts on merchandise and services as well as complimentary uniforms and nametags upon hire. Workers in full-time positions with Indigo Books & Music may also qualify for insurance coverage, financial planning assistance, and health and wellness programs.
Eligible Indigo Books & Music employees enjoy comprehensive insurance options. Work benefits packages consist of medical, dental, accidental death, and dismemberment insurance coverage. Indigo Books & Music also provides generous options for profit sharing and 401(k) retirement plans. The Canadian retail company also awards employees for service and job performance through company-sponsored programs. Submit an online application form to find more details on Indigo Books & Music employment benefits.
Founded in 1940 as Coles, Indigo Books & Music officially formed in 1996. The first Indigo Books & Music store opened in Burlington, ON, Canada, the following year. The retail chain expanded throughout the early 2000s and opened an online store. In 2001, Indigo Books & Music partnered with an online bookstore called Chapters. A decade later, Indigo Books entered into an exclusive partnership with ereading company Kobo Inc.
Products and Services
Indigo Books & Music operates as an industry leader in store format conceptualization and online retail sales. Physical storefronts primarily incorporate large, warehouse layouts and sit as standalone locations in shopping centers throughout Canada. The retailer also manages several mall-based locations. Products sold at Indigo Books & Music locations include books, magazines, DVDs, CDs, Blu-ray discs, toys, and stationary accessories.
The product of several business mergers, Indigo Books & Music operates as a public company and lists on the TSX as IDG. The bookstore chain generates more than $1 billion in annual revenues and controls over $500 million in total assets. Company headquarters for Indigo Books & Music reside in Toronto, ON, Canada.
Minimum age to work at Indigo Books & Music: 14
Official Site: www.chapters.indigo.ca/careers/careers-at-indigo/